The Auchencairn Initiative was started in August 2001 to provide the village with an organisation to undertake capital projects and raise funds for the Community. It was founded from the Community Council since that organisation is not constituted to attract major funding.
The Initiative acts on the projects initiated or approved by the Community Council and reports to them as the client on behalf of the village. The Constitution of the Initiative was changed in 2004 to become a company limited by guarantee with charitable status. This change was needed to be able to attract the larger scale of funding required for the present projects.
Projects completed by the Initiative are as follows:
- Creation of village web site ‘www.auchencairn.org.uk’
- Provision of the Enterprise Centre containing Auchencairn Store, Post Office, Scruffs Nursery and accommodation.
- Construction of new footpath across the head of Auchencairn Bay.
- Construction of new bird hide.
- Creation of a monthly Country Market.
- Provision of a new children’s play area. (The Boredom Buster Playpark).
- Production of a new tourist walk leaflet.
Projects in progress by the Initiative are as follows:
- Rascarrel Forest purchase and management.